Sunday, August 3, 2014

We do it for the children of Ghana




My friends and blog followers I am trying to keep up on my adventures in Ghana but my access to the internet is sporadic and unpredictable.  Sometimes I can get on-line for 10 minutes and other times up to an hour but I never know how long I have once I actually get logged on.  Also, there seems to be no such thing as “high speed internet” here!!
 
My priority is to get my work related duties done as quickly as possible.  I then keep up with communications from family and friends and, lastly, the blog.  Each picture I download and then upload takes a fair amount of time.  I could forgo the pictures but, frankly, I don’t think my words have as much impact as the pictures.  So, slowly but surely, I will continue to blog whenever possible.  

I also want to add the usually disclaimer.  Anything I write about Ghana is from my own impressions and observations.  I do not claim to know anything.  I just write what I see and what I feel. 

The minute I landed in Ghana I felt I was exactly where I am supposed to be.  The sights, sounds, tastes, and smells were instantly comfortable and familiar.  One of the readings done every day at the House of St. Francis says, “…there was a certain sense of security in the familiar.”  Although taken out of context this line is certainly true about how I feel being back.  The first time around everything was new and sometimes scary.  I walked around for much of my time wide-eyed and open mouth with my camera constantly at the ready soaking in a culture that was totally strange to me.  This time I almost forget that I have a camera, I’m a tro-tro pro, and I had no trouble at all informing the service staff at a restaurant that I knew I was being overcharged.  I hit the ground running.

For the most part I have quit noticing the abundance of “farm animals” that are everywhere.  However, I was walking on my break and had the privilege of witnessing the last stages in the birth of twin goats/sheep (it’s hard to tell the difference here).  The second twin had almost finished its entry into this world when I came upon them.  Circling around them was a flock of the most stunning, bright yellow butterflies I have ever seen.  The babies were pristine white and the contrast of the yellow of the butterflies was a beautiful sight.  This is something you just do not see in Eugene, Oregon.  A few days later I ran into the little family again and could not help taking a picture. 
The startling whiteness of the newborns had faded to slightly grey but I still felt the newness of their time on earth and felt a connection from having watched them enter the world.

I LOVE what I am doing here in Ghana.  For those of you who don’t know I work in the field of addiction treatment and recovery.  Much of my time is spent at a treatment center called the House of St. Francis were I also spent time working last summer. 
The House of St. Francis
On August 1st the House of St. Francis celebrated its second anniversary.  I can’t even express the gratitude I have for the privilege of being witness to the success of this facility.  When I was here last year they had 13 residents.  This year they are at top capacity of 25.  There is actually room for up to 40 men to be in residential treatment but there are only 2 staff members, who, by the way, are volunteers with only a very small stipend, and their workload is at its peak.  Not great incentive for potential new staff.  These two men, Edwin and George are shining examples of selfless service.  Dan O’Laughlin, the Chairman of the Board of the Hopeful Way Foundation, the man who made my stay in Ghana possible, is constantly scrambling to find ways to keep the House of St. Francis solvent; another example of selfless service.  If you are looking for tax deductible donations to make at the end of the year please keep Recovery Africa in mind!

Sometimes one wonders about their purpose in life.  I have often said that it is my hope to plant seeds of recovery in individuals knowing that I may never see the seeds to germination and growth.  I am okay with that.  Just the knowledge that the seed has been planted is enough; to help an individual who has lived a life in the misery of addiction to realize that there is a better way to live and that it is up to them to nurture the seed -- or not.  Two days after my arrival in Ghana I received the most precious gift I have ever received from another human being.  One of the men I worked with last year was at a meeting.  He now has over one year clean and sober.  He said, “Whenever I have hard times in my recovery I remember what Shelia said, that this is a program of action.  I remember to take action and then I am okay.”  This is my purpose in life.


My living arrangement in Ghana is divided between two homes within the same family.  Alfred and Comfort have opened their home to me five nights per week. 

My home 5 nights per week
Their daughter, Joyce, and her family, Steven, Stephanie, and Jayden, host me the other two nights of the week.  The generosity of these people is astounding.  They have made me feel welcome and a part of the family.  On Monday and Friday evenings I go to 12 Step meetings in Accra.  Depending on traffic the journey can take from 45 minutes up to two hours.  I take a bus/tro-tro with the guys from the House of St. Francis.  I get back rather late and, since Joyce’s home is close by I stay with her in Ashaiman.
My house 2 night per week; third door on the right
   

On the other nights I stay with Comfort    and Alfred in Tema.


On my second Saturday in Ghana Comfort made Fu Fu and Groundnut (Peanut) Soup for dinner.  Although Fu Fu is a staple in Ghana and some women make it every day, its production is no easy feat.  Fu Fu is made from plantains and cassava.  First the tubers are peeled, cut, and boiled.  Then they are pounded into the consistency of bread dough. 
Comfort and Raymond pounding Fu Fu
The Groundnut Soup also takes some effort.  First the groundnut paste is fried until the “part that makes you sick is taken out”; I’m assuming this means whatever is in peanuts that many are allergic to is somehow removed.  Then onions, peppers, tomatoes, and spices are added to make the soup.  Comfort also added Garden Eggs (similar to eggplant) and chicken.  The Fu Fu is placed in bowls (in portions sizes seemly as large as my head!) and then the groundnut soup is poured over it.
Groundnut Soup
Fu Fu
Fu Fu and Groundnut Soup
It is then eaten with fingers.  The whole family gathered to enjoy the “Fu Fu of her labor”!!!  I felt honored that Comfort went to the effort to prepare this traditional Ghanaian dish for me.

Auntie Comfort and Uncle Alfred

Jayden, Steven, Stephanie, and Joyce











The last segment of this post is about the children.  I love the children of Ghana.  They are not inside watching television or playing video games; they are outside playing.  Whenever I am out I can hear the laughter of children and it makes my heart smile.   Although little if any money is spent on toys the children have no trouble finding entertainment.  I’ve seen them play some sort of game with bottle caps and pebbles.  If a soccer/football is not available they make use of can, bottles, and even crumpled up pieces of paper.  Old bike tires seem a frequently used toy.  It is inspiring to see how imaginative and creative the children can be.   

When I am working with people in the area of recovery, whether addicts or not, I am moved to remind them how important it is to spread and maintain recovery in Africa; not only for themselves but also for the children.  Some of the children of Ghana that I delightedly watch will need recovery programs someday.  It is important to build and strengthen our own recovery and the recovery support systems in Ghana so that when these children need it help will be there for them.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Shelia! I absolutely LOVE reading your blog. You do a great job at describing life in Ghana. Was the Fu fu and nut soup good? I love how the kids aren't all geeked out on technology. Love you, and keep these awesome blogs coming! xo

    ReplyDelete